Monday, September 24, 2007

Pleasant surprises, and otherwise.....

Which player has been your biggest overachiever (+)? Who has been the biggest disappointment on your squad (X)? Allow me to answer for you.....

(in no particular order)

1. NTAC: + is BJ Upton - this blue-chip prospect somehow made it through the entire draft and Marc wisely scooped him from the wire. Upton has been the 43rd most valuable player thus far.

X is Chris Carpenter. Hey, at least he got 6 (bad) innings in.

2. Four Dingers: + is Ryan Braun. That was easy.

X is a bit tougher, but I'm naming Michael Young, whose 770ish OPS is a disappointment.

3. One Hitter Quitters: + has to be Carlos Pena. Don't you remember all the experts calling him to bang 40+ long balls this year? Neither do I.

X is probably Roy Halladay. Not a huge dropoff, but K's are on the weak side.

4. Cleft Assholes: + is Brandon Phillips. He's the 10th most valuable player thus far. Damn.

X not any huge underachievers here, but I'm tabbing Zambrano, who has not quite been the Cy Young contender many projected him to be. I might also be naming him because I hate the way throws an "I just K'd the last batter to win the World Series!!" celebration after he manages to strike out Jason Marquis with 2 on and 2 outs.

5. Gutterballs: + Has to be Eric Byrnes - 47 SBs!

X is Jason Bay - this former borderline 1st rounder is hitting a robust .248.

6. Crazy 88: + is Magglio Ordonez - taken with a flier kinda late in the draft, the best hair in baseball is putting up MVP type numbers.

X is easily Rafael Furcal. Jeff, are you still mad at me for taking this piece of shit (.688 OPS)?

7. Boston Teabag Party: + is tough, but I'm picking Valverde, who has been absolutely dominant this year, especially compared to his 2006. An excellent value.

X is probably Joe Mauer. Is he still using the pink bat?

8. LLUA: + is probably Aaron Rowand - one of the most clutch bats in the game, and a top 40 player this year.

X no huge letdowns here, but Johnny Damon has not done much.

9. Gas House Gorillas: + is Fausto Carmona. 18 wins and a 3 era.

X is probably Miguel Tejada. Did not have the bounce-back year many were expecting.

10. Ghetto Revival: + has to be CC Sabathia, who is proudly carrying the Bartolo Colon "guys who are probably 3-3 1/2 bills but can actually pitch" banner.

X is easily Vernon Wells. Sucked, then got hurt.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Fine said...

Zesty, Josh! Especially, "because I hate the way throws an "I just K'd the last batter to win the World Series!!" celebration after he manages to strike out Jason Marquis with 2 on and 2 outs."

I'd like to point out that I picked up Granderson off of waivers at the beginning of the season. He strikes me as an overachiever from his pre-draft projections.

I'd also second Johnny Damon as Maude's underachiever. Aside from his production, the opportunity cost of picking him over Jimmy Rollins is pretty brutal.

4:00 PM, September 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Biggest underachiever on my team? Jeremy Bonderman. Guy had like one win after the All-Star break. I'd go with the rookie Hunter Pence as my overachiever.

2:08 PM, September 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Bay was an underachiever but Queen F was pretty bad too. Same wiht McCann, Ugla, Atkins, etc, etc.

8:44 PM, September 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home